19 October 2009

Sgt. Richard Yarosh portrait to show at Smithsonian

Matthew Mitchell's life-sized oil portrait of Sgt. Richard Yarosh will go on display at the National Portrait Gallery at the Smithsonian Institution in Washington later this month. Matthew Mitchell via AP.


Yarosh, who moved back to Windsor, N.Y., after his retirement in January, concedes he was a little uneasy when he sat for the portrait because he worried about how an artist, likely to be more liberal, might depict him. Still, Yarosh agreed because he thought having his portrait done would be “super cool.”

...

Yarosh was astonished when he saw the completed portrait.

“It was perfect. I couldn’t believe that he captured me,” he said. “It captures my pride. I’m proud of the way I look. I’m proud of the reason for the way I look.”

Read Sgt. Yarosh's amazing story here. What a guy.

No comments: